Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Municipal University of Omaha

 Organization

The Municipal University of Omaha had its beginnings as a private, coeducational college named the University of Omaha, founded in 1908 by the Presbyterian Theological Seminary at Omaha. In 1930, with voter approval, the City of Omaha took control of the university, changing it to the Municipal University of Omaha. In 1968, the university merged into the University of Nebraska system, becoming the University of Nebraska at Omaha, the name by which it is known today.

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Cheerful--Courageous--Confident: The Gift of an Idea to the University of Omaha Class of 1947, by Rowland Haynes, President

 Collection — Box: All
Identifier: UNO-0087
Scope and Contents

Cheerful--Courageous-- Confident: The Gift of an Idea to the University of Omaha Class of 1947, by Rowland Haynes, President is a printed commemorative copy of Rowland Haynes commencement speech to the 1947 OU graduating class, signed with a greeting by Rowland Haynes. The theme is cheerful courage through faith in God.

Leland Traywick Inauguration Collection

 Collection — Box: All
Identifier: UNO-0093
Scope and Contents The Leland Traywick Inauguration Collection consists primarily of correspondence and programs for the hiring and inauguration of Leland Traywick as President of the Municipal University of Omaha, 1965-1966. The collection includes a bound volume of records, predominantly correspondence, but also including committee information, invitations, seating arrangements, the inaugural address, press releases, and other records; a small selection of photographs of the inauguration; several...

OU Commencement Marshal's Baton, circa 1930s

 Item — Object: Ceremonial Objects [3]
Scope and Contents Wooden baton, also called a mace, with rounded ends, painted with red and black bands. A red and black tassel is tied through a hole drilled at approximately one-third of the baton's length. The baton is 24 inches long with a diameter of 1 1/4 inches. The baton was carried by the faculty marshal who led the procession at the University of Omaha commencement ceremony.