Young Men's Christian Association of Omaha
The Young Men's Christian Association of Omaha was the former name of the YMCA of Greater Omaha.
From http://metroymca.org/about/history/ : The Omaha Area YMCA started on April 2, 1866 by a Union Pacific Purchasing Agent (George Frost).
The current branches of the YMCA of Greater Omaha include:
Downtown (current building located at 430 S 20th Street opened in 1969); Butler-Gast (June 17, 1995), formerly the North Branch (December, 1945), and Miller Park Branch (January, 1946); Maple Street (1953), formerly the West YMCA, current building located at 7502 Maple Street, which had an expansion/renovation completed in November, 2001; the Council Bluffs Branch merged with the YMCA Of Greater Omaha in 1972 and the current facility at 430 S 4th Street opened in 1979; Camp Pokamoke (1972) was sold in 2011; Southwest (January, 1981), which had an expansion/renovation in 1997; Sarpy (December 7, 1997), which had an expansion/renovation completed in October, 2001; the LaFern Williams South YMCA was purchased from the Omaha Housing Authority (October, 1999) and had an expansion/renovation in December, 2007; North Omaha Teen Center (June 2001); Twin Rivers (April 9, 2003); Mills County (June 3, 2006); and Armbrust (January 2, 2008).
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The records of the YMCA of Greater Omaha include material from the organization’s founding in the 19th century through the 21st century. Material documenting board meetings from the 1880s to the early 21st century is nearly complete. Also included are: newsletters and newspapers, fundraising material, membership information, marketing material, photographs (bulk 1970s-1990s), scrapbooks, and a small amount of media formats including VHS videotapes. The scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings ...