University of Nebraska at Omaha. University Religious Center
Beginning in 1958, the Omaha Area Council of Churches planned to provide ministry to Protestant students at the Municipal University of Omaha (OU), as well as at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, and Creighton University. By 1962, a part-time minister had a presence on the OU campus and by 1964, a full-time minister. The Department of Campus Ministry of the Omaha Area Council of Churches eventually became the Campus Christian Fellowship of Omaha (CCF), which in turn apparently became or was supplanted by the United Christian Ministries in Higher Education (UCMHE). UCMHE was sponsored by the United Methodist, Presbyterian USA, United Church of Christ (Congregational), and Christian (Disciples) Churches. In 1970, off-campus property was purchased from Richard and Mary Ann Clemens at 101 N. Happy Hollow Blvd. in Omaha, and CCF (UCMHE?) moved in to establish the University Religious Center (URC). URC also provided space for Lutheran Campus Ministries, Catholic Campus Ministries, Jewish Student Organization, Society of Friends (Quakers), and others. URC operated for 31 years, and the facility was open for use by UNO students of all religions. In 2001, the building was sold and URC ceased to exist. However, UCMHE continued to work and provide ministry to UNO students through UNO Campus Ministries after the closing of URC.
Kill, Nick. "Center Diversified but Effective." Gateway (Omaha, NE). Feb. 27, 1974.
McElligott, Susan. "Religious Center Welcomes Students of All Faiths." Gateway (Omaha, NE). Aug. 8, 1995.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The UNO University Religious Center Collection includes materials related to establishing a Protestant ministry for students at UNO's predecessor the Municipal University of Omaha (circa 1959-1965); activities at the University Religious Center (URC) facility near the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) campus (1970-2001); and United Christian Ministries in Higher Education (UCMHE) activities on UNO campus (until about 2008). The collection includes correspondence related to establishing a ...